Tuesday, July 12, 2005

OBBS-Ervations

Nothing like tooling around on a bicycle through the new town to elicit inspiration, or well, an excuse to write about it. Girlfriend J was in Copenhagen for a day last week. I told her to look for the Tivoli Gardens, locale of countless legendary shows by all the 60s & 70s great, just a regular stop on the European jaunt. She got some pub shots and some rainy pics of the local architecture, which I may include here. I however found the local Tivoli Market, or Theater, or something, in the decayed neighborhood of Columbia Heights, up the hill in the normally flat DC area north of U street. So I tooled around, eyed the 9:30 club, then headed uphill on 14th st. Passed some projects until I finally came to the Tivoli.

Actually I wanted to see the Giant G supermarket that just openened. Only to find it attached to this semi-active theater, hosting the Miss DC pageant this month. I swear it reminded me of Brooklyn, and it's first attempt of revitalization, the Atlantic Mall. Colossal failure in the middle of a dilapidated and overworked intersection of Atlantic and Flatbush Aves. That had a Caldor and a Sports authority which both closed up in short time. The Pathmark was moderately successful. Now the intersection is more built up with stores and potentially the new Nets arena, but it's still ugly as can be, if not at least functional.
Tivoli however is still several steps behind, keep track of those shopping carts. So much of DC has hoods that still haven't fuly recovered from the 60s riots. The homeless are well entrenched in the city parks. Most are somewhat more placid than NY homeless. You got southern religion running most of the shelters here.
It's a very divided town. The outer neighborhoods are screaming for inner amenities. More shops, restaurants, fighting over development down in SE Anacostia, but the ole likka store boys don't wanna leave. It's the opposite of Williamsburgh. Build it up baby, sell sell sell. It all means more money for the Feds who run DC. It's not a state! I'll be pissed when I start working and see how much is taken out of my taxes, and it all goes straight to Bush, who moves it straight to Iraq.
Hey people, he is not looking out for your best interests! It's a very expensive publicity stunt for Democracy in the name of oil conquest. Impeach Bush!!!

That's all for politics for me, for now that is. You can find me jamming in Dupont Circle most Sundays, weekdays as well, as I take breaks from internet job hunting and hot walks to the mall, museum shuffling with a purpose. I am no tourist! I'm getting use of the tax money I haven't even earned yet. Actually I'd like to work for the Smithsonian in some capacity worthy of my intel. Toot Toot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home