Saturday, March 17, 2007

Pentaghoul?


There was some thought of covering the latest (recurring) March on the government buildings here in DC. But the Pentagon is just over the bridge in Arlington, VA and there's really nothing to see around there, IMHO. Unless you're into the spirit of protest and brotherly bonhomie or if you believe in levitation through group think you might give it a pass. I did, but only because it was too darn cold.

Instead, I opted for a typical stroll to the mall, headphones on.

Walking down the mall, towards the Capitol, I could not help but think of the endless mechanations and useless committees formed, the processes this building produces, it makes you question the effectiveness of our democracy. Despite the clouds, the colums below the white dome looked dark and dirty, yet transparent. It made me think that the Senate and the House have absolutely no teeth. The likeness and character of this toothless dome is best exemplified by Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-MIchigan).

Just like the political grandstanding and demands for heads on pikes, there didn't seem to be much of a protest fever happening. However as I got close to the reflecting pool, I came across a little tent city set up by troopsoutnow.org with a sign reading CUT OFF WAR FUNDS NOW. It was just what I had in mind, in my reverie. However, lest any politician come across as undemocratic and not "showing support of the troops" they will not cut war funds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home