Sunday, October 16, 2005

Too cool for Sunday School

Made it out to DuPont Circle for my noontime jam, but none of the drummers showed up. I don't know them too well personally and my attendance hasn't been great, but I had high hopes. A lovely breezy autumn day, a swift recovery from drinks, dancing and partying the night before at the Toutorsky Mansion. (Happy 30th, Nedra) My big breakthrough in conversation was a well timed and apt use of the word CANTANKEROUS. Big wow, eh?

I brought the bass clarinet out, proving to myself once again that a reed embouchure does not deteriorate from neglect, as does a brass player's lip doth fade. So I placed my folding chair under a tree, towards the sun. Warmed up on my Peruvian flute then busted out some bela claritones. Gay men and their dogs ventured subtle peeks, trying not to look too interested. None of the usual queries like "Is that a saxophone? Can I take a picture? Do you need psychological help?"
Back to football!

Also, I checked out the Millions More March yesterday on the mall. I estimated the crowd at maybe 60,000. I'm getting a little tired of fruitless fund-raising causes and bootleg T-shirts that are just not cool looking in the first place and by the next day, obsolete. Farrakhan and Erykah Badu reaching out to the hearts and minds is fine, but if their intention is to create a sub-govenment of the poor and disenfranchised of the nation, I seriously have my doubts. People People, I don't know what this world is coming to. I think perhaps Africa would be a good model to test the process. Break down all local governments and create a United States of Africa. If that can happen, maybe there will be hope elsewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home