Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Pitt, Pith and Liver damage


What price fun? A cathartic whoop amongst a charged bar of Steeler fans, the thrill was all too brief. The aftermath...queasy.
So, Halloween 2005 plays like so.
70-ish degree weather, nice. Girl with black bunny ears in park, drinking and smoking. Kramerbooks crowded and confusing. Walked downtown, returned library books. Sat reading the 911 graphic novel collection. Gay black guy in Vote For Pedro shirt animatedly playing with Sony PSP. Extended arguement with security guard before allowing himself to be evicted for excess noise and wussy defiance. Browsing Border Books, read Guitar mag, watched smelly old guy with empty milk bottle (cheap scotch?) rearrange mags seemingly at random, except for prominently displaying portrait of Farrakhan. No security intervention.

After all this time-killing bravado I put in a call to Julie wondering when to meet for our cocktail summit with White House friends and colleagues. Read AP-Nedra, NPR-David, ?(sorry)?-Holly, Julie-The Chron. The cozy and enclavious Hay-Adams Hotel bar, with it's fine whiskey sours and I pounded and enviously so Cosmos were ditched for sours. Recounted, talks of outings, Catholic Schoolgirl outfits, and campaign tales of yore to which my priviledged ears absorbed.

Are you still with me? First blog post in 2 weeks! Skippy!

Off we men go, me and #36 to the POUR bar on TH' HILL. Standard stuff, proofed, noisemakers, top volume, 15 tellys. Why is it that Figure Skating is always on opposite the football, day or night, I guess programmers are keeping the ladies in mind. Well, there weren't many ladies in this house except for la Rose, DG's paramour. Fine stock.
For a few hours I truly watched football. My genteel contemplative hours of amusement and herbal teas simply do not compare with the blurring experience of being around fun crazy people, on Halloween no less. The bonhomie flowed like fountains of light beer, the nachos transmogrified into something truly insidious. And in a rare instance it was a very tight game. The Baltimore Ravens, 14 point underdogs played well despite injuries and rumors of dogging it. The Steelers perhaps played down to the competition, but had the crowd and the clock in their favor, a winning FG drive and a defensive stop secured the game.
Now given these proclamations once might think I had a religious experience or something and am about to jump on the Pittsburgh bandwageon. I am aware of certain rules of geographical and historical loyalty, but I despise the bullshit that pro athletes get into. Jawjacking, DWI, spouse beating bigamists are tough to root for. Oh, the Pats, Steelers and Giants are so team-oriented family-owned and friendly entities of th' league, but I'm not buying it. At least these teams are more likeable than the former Cleveland Browns..i.e. scabby Ravens with their troubled Lewises of lore. Nevermore, and off another shore, some rented whores: the Minnesota Vikings sure have some big problems as well, it's a tough year to be purple.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/10/31/bc.fbp.lgns.vikingsculpepper.r/index.html

After sharing a cab back, I think it took me 90 minutes to make it from the living room to the bed. Not sure what I was doing at all, but catatonia led to nausea and I only just now at 4:07 feel up for some higher motor functions thanks to the wonders of broth. I swear I was lying in bed feeling my shrunken liver flopping around in some gap inside. I must relearn how to drink properly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home