Wednesday, December 27, 2006

End of music/year of Best 2006-The


Sorry, I have nothing prepared.
Actually what prompted this post, this dime a dozen idea that everyone in the blogosphere postulates, their top albums of the past year, was not anything that I bought this year. But I admit, I don't think I bought a new album this year, who does anymore, but you know, there are other ways. If I ever made an album, and I tried thrice, nobody would buy it anyway, so FU.

What worries me tonight is not the state of the musical consumption index, but what the fuck happened to David Bowie's voice?
After a listen to a special Xmas release of DB with Pink Floyd performing their first single, Syd Barret's "Arnold Layne", I am sincerely dreading a world without a David Bowie. Now he could die tomorrow, or get incurable laryngitis, lose a lung in a cab or something, but to hear him struggle is even worse. Fancying him as one of those guys who does more with less seems absurd.

Now James Brown could get away with half assed singing. He's been grunting gobbledygook for years, but a guy in his 70s that can still do the Mashed Potato is something to behold. Sadly he is now gone too. His hitmaking days are long gone, his last hit 20 years past, he was not the reinventive kind of guy. He was an innovator in one particular genre. He could adapt funk with Disco, with pop strings, with big 80s drum sound. Pizzy and Ludacrap and all those biters can steal his shit and make money for decades to come. As we can already see, the Estate of JB is in shutdown mode, to protect a huge empire from being stripped clean. Still, they should let the last wife back into her house to get a few things shouldn't they? I mean even FedEx managed to get through his former home's gates to pick up a few ball caps, right?

So um, I'm at a loss to opine on any hot release of '06 at this time. However I have gabbed at length about Tenacious D and K-Fed in previous posts so, go back and read that if you are so disposed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home