Thursday, December 22, 2005

End of year musical assessment


GG says "Have a happy F*&^N New Year....and BITE IT!!"


Well I can't say it's been a big year gig-wise for me. So far in DC I have been to a Capitals hockey game, that sure beats the Knitting factory, I'd imagine.

Early this year I went to Galapagos for the 1st time and saw Sabir Mateen with William Parker's Little huey Orchestra.
I thought it all a bit fancy a play for them, but appropriate. Parker's arrangements "concertize" a blowing session, not unlike Europe's Globe Unity Orchestra in the 1970s.
Of course Sabir being in the band, gotta give him room to blow, and several other players took turns soloing over interesting flowing motions of sound.
Following this set, Sabir was enlisted (for paid rehearsals and performance) by some cats I don't wish to remember. Basic rock instrumentation, black sweaters and arrangements lifted from Black Sabbath riffs. Just the derivitave co-opting that makes a gig not worth playing if not for the money, then ask yourself, why i did that?
The last 2 gigs I played in NY were of a mixed original/cover band, Executioners of Excellence. We did 1 good show at Charleston and 1 bad show at Sidewalk, my fault on that one, the cold wreaked havoc on my Tele and my electronic tuner was useless. At least we pulled off 1983...A mermaid I should turn to be with my mandolin.
In DC I've played 1 open mike at Stacatto in Adams Morgan, which is like what Avenue A used to be, AM still is a hot nightspot strip of clubs, most of which I haven't been to. I waited through many groups to crank out my oldies on my classical guitar and I played too long, but sort of enjoyed playing but not the atmosphere.
This summer was more fun doing my Sunday jams in Dupont Circle with some Afro-Cuban percussionists. They let me play very freely on mandolin, flute and percussion. I contrubuted melody and energy and they worked on their chops. This I would not consider 'drum circle". The hippie kids mostly stayed on the other side of the park playing hacky-sack. One time, the guys were working on a complex rhythm when a hippy kid came over and asked to sit in. He meekly pounded a couple of taps and realized he was out of his element. I asked his friend with the guitar to sit in and he said "oh, I don't really play this"
So let's say I have a seasonal gig for now. Craigslist hasn't nested me any consistent play partners. I drove out to Potomac to check out a drummer into ECM stuff. The guy worshipped John Zorn and had all his latest CDs. The dude lived at home, family in the garment biz, rich kid with a whole big suburban house basement for his gear and projection TV. I played all the right noise, but something didn't click with the kid. Oh well.

I did discover Bit-Torrents actually work and have downloaded lots of music to fill up 30Gigs on my iPod, so almost all I can imagine have been on my playlist. Still, I listen to mostly old music but a few guys did break through to me this year.

Roky Erickson- Actually a live video compilation has turned me on quite a bit. His records are a bit under-produced, in my opinion. But most studio stuff kinda bores me. His 1984 performance in a rock amphitheater solo, and with Mike Alvarez on 2nd guitar are great illustrations of his dark, brilliant music.

Richard Thompson- Front Parlour Ballads is just the kind of music I want to perform right now. Just find 1 accompanying player and myself and rip on some subliminally poitical folk songs.

Paul Anka- Rock Swings- Very enjoyable album. The arrangements are pure finger-snappin' Vegas big band jazz. Eyes without a Face is a stand out. Everyone it seems is doing ironic versions of Black Hole Sun. His version is super-slow, I still like the Steve Lawrence/Edye Gorme version more.

Johnny Cash- Forget it! The movie was great, the book I;m reading has me hooked. American Recordings 3 and 4 just blow me away. I didn't know there were 4 of them. He just reinvents the great American Songbook with all the pain and sorrow you can put on tape. Rod Stewart can't come near this, though I haven't heard that album yet, can't say his songs of choice are challenging, typical romantic Rod. Save it for the ladies.

Miles Davis- Complete Jack Johnson Sessions- So much great stuff on here. Love it. More wah wah!

Cro-Mags, DRI (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) I don't know how these records of my youth got lost. But now that they're in the digital domain they live again and sound fuckin excellent!

Bob Dylan- Uh oh, Scorsese done it. Got me hooked, help!

Elvis Presley- I have to take credit actually for bringing Elvis back into Julie's life. After an unhappy marriage presided over by an Elvis impersonator in Vegas, she hasn't been able to face Bubba with joy in her heart. But now all is well in Memphis.

Say goodbye to:

King Crimson
and Tom Waits

I don't know how, I just feel completely burned out on them. Respectfully, I need a break.

Good luck to:
Girl to Gorilla (formerly The Murkins, hopefully John and his Problems)

and stay tuned, if I ever get IT together, come up with some new songs and let sail with a
new glut of musical activity.

Happy Holidays, New Year, and Birthday, you know who you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home