Monday, March 27, 2006

Thank you, and here's your canned ham.


I hate to sound like an ingrate. But the rewards of being a humble barista are comparitavely humble. I have thusly finished a calendar week at over 40 hours, having made a bit of over time as well as supplementary compensation for filling in no-shows and head injury cases and others who value the fine weather so much as to not come in to work. From 9 am to 7:30 pm I toiled, taking only a 10 minute break to sit in the afternoon sun, and perhaps 30 seconds to observe Bush's passing motorcade, thinking more that maybe I'll see the pool van carrying my Jules for the ride. She was thinking as much as the pool blazed up 15th, snarling traffic both car and foot. One could not cross K, no matter what laminate one sported apparently. And you could not escape by Metro for the forces somehow stalled at Foggy Bottom, forcing patrons into my store to dine after hours. Paisans stopped me on the way home, knowing I'd closed asking me why so early (!!!) I never thought I'd take warm sunshine for granted cuz I'm gonna get some tomorrow. Peak cherry blossom day I bet.