Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ethos, Pathos. Penny Ante Craphos



This may yet be the most petty, bitchy oversensitive and cheezy post yet. As presumed from the previous post, I'm of the mind from both sides of the employee/manager/customer dichonomy that it's best to choose your spots when to apply your theoretical boundaries of disciplinary excercise.
I can think of at least a dozen regular morning customers who get the same type of coffee, be it regular, custom latte, what have you. A bad barista can still fuck up a simple cup of coffee a thousand ways. If I'm familiar with you, and you don't always have to break a $20 bill with me, I'll serve up a damn good drink. That familiarity should pass both ways in a small but professional way. So how would you feel if after paying very nearly almost EXACT change for a drink, then get in your zen mode of anticipation of your drink made by Senor Speedy behind the counter....your change of $.01 is left at eye level, on top of the credit card printer. Now is the occasion that they want to know your name? Not for a thanks, G, great latte like always.
The rest of this morally dillema I will leave purposely vague because, yes as a rule you hand the customer their change. But if the customer is in a meditative pose and you have one cent change to offer, breaking their dream state, would precious time be better served expediting the cycle of service a wee bit?
I just gotta....mmm. rr! I just...gotta....grr! gotta.....PISS!!!!