Monday, August 14, 2006

Last of many weary good mornings?



I'm in a perfect state of mind to ponder all things depressing. Even me, Morose Miles Millstein has to admit things are pretty good now. My girlfriend Julie returned from 10 days in Crawford, and we had a most pleasant evening if you will. Mmm.

My new job is going fine. My only complaint is due to my susceptability to paper cuts. But every job I have seems to be rough on my hands, a matter of masculine and hereditary pride. I finally have a speculation, that in a long-gone previous life I must have been a stone cutter, working on pyramids and carving the Gods for the Pharoahs.



But let me say now I have no plans to take up sculpture, never had, and currently I'm not a big fan. Brass and marble seem unweidly and expensive and I sure as shit ain't working with terra cotta. Just don't like the sound of it, like some dumbass is going to peruse my shit and say "Duh-huh...he's making art out of cheese....whattya callit?....Head cheese? Duh-huh...huh huh..."

So what was so depressing today? Just stopping in to my old job to pick up my last paycheck. No I'm not depressed that the check was a little light, only 1 weeks worth, but that's nothing new. It's being reminded how low the morale is in that place.









8:45 in the morning and you feel like you just opened this refridgerator and saw this piece of lettuce and feeling like it's your pride. Nobody had much of a warm greeting for me as I ordered a bacon, cheddar and liquid egg sandwich and a latte. Nobody hit me up for gum. Nothing. Must be a bitter pill to swallow, it's been 2 weeks, and on this day it seems that they haven't found a replacement for me. The acting manager was 2nd register and the District manager made my latte. No warmth from him at all, can't say I blame him. He hides his grief well. I know he secretly, silently had management plans for me. Hopes dashed...endless days of stressful adherence to corporate food service processes.

I pray to the highest power that I should never have to wear a hairnet in public. Not my kind of look. I sure wouldn't be smiling in front of a camera either.
So this has been a healthy discourse, and I came out of there with an even healthier outlook. I should stay away from that place with their fake egg sandwiches and ease up on the coffee as well. If I need a morning pick-me up I'd more likely go to the Snooty Smoothie joint, where the kids working may not be well paid, but they don't have to dress like a corporate jerkoff, and they have a tip jar! That's empowering!
I'm done debating these depressing thoughts and reminding myself humbly that I am finally above it and am more in control of my dignity and self empowerment. Yes. But I digress. I leave you with one more depressing picture: