Saturday, May 12, 2007

"We" hope we passed the audition

I think it's alright for a solo act to refer to itelf as "we" and it's a John Lennon quote so, cool, OK?

At my 95 second audition today I realized what a wise decision I had made in my repertoire of jazz standards, particularly Monk material that is a more brevious AABA format than say, a Mingus composition which has many parts.
I was maybe the 5th person to set up before the 5 or 6 person panel. Gave a quick introduction and background on myself until it grew tiresome, they declared me to play and I went right into it. No setting up pedals, no tune up, no wiping off the sweat (it was humid) and I did dress nicely for the occasion. Right into "A Train", after the third A (a full stanza) the judge asked for another tune...right into "Blue Monk". Sensing the m.o. before me, I finished one stanza of that and went right into "Straight, No Chaser". One stanza of that and I was done. Smiles, thanks, exit stage...whatever.

A guy outside immediately starts talking to me like we'd met before. Circumstances discussed. He (50 yr old black dude w/ dreads) says he auditioned on Thursday, did "Hey Joe" and when the judge asked for another tune, he didn't have a follow up, thus he was back again. What followed was undoubtely a tedious affair of ethnic acts, earnest acoustiphiles, entire violin classes and perhaps a soft shoe or 2.


23 skiddoo, I need this gig, yoo-hoo!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home