Wednesday, July 04, 2007

My 38th 4th.


I used to have an odd tradition for the Fourth of July, to go along with my odd life. Since music was my primary avocation, and as my fellow crustoids informed me "Shit I ain't goin' out man...fuckin' lunatics out there!" I would stay at home, get baked and do a 4-track demo, usually titled "Independence Jam" or "The Fourth". All unlistenable, but with an inspired beat.

So here's what I observed on my outing in DC. Got on bike trail, Arlington via Georgetown-Key Bridge. By 1pm I observed many suburbanites already set up along the waterfront with canopies, grills, tents and all the fixins. Primed for an all day food-a-thon, with symphonic music piped in.


Passing by Jefferson Memorial, I nearly blew past the security presence which I found soon afterward was quite ubiquitous on the mall. Eventually I made it around to the parade route, but apparently it was the ass of the parade snake.
There was a cool Eagle mimi-float, followed by the Falun Gong corps and their massive marching band. Then at the very end were the beloved Hare Krishna people, which I observed in close-up, a very gay man riding with. I didn't see any floats celebrating Iraq's "Independence".

The Smithsonian Folklife fest was still kicking. Good folk and blues from Virginia, more cool weird sounds from the Mekong Delta, some fine whiskey-infused honey from Northern Ireland. Wolfgang Timmons at the Hirschorn: pretty edgy stuff by Smithsonian Standards.

Came home, had a sandwich. At my shift (it still is Wednesday) at American Art Museum I hear of the Tornado wreaking havoc on the mall. The storm seems to have passed. Soon it is back to the mall for fireworks. Hooray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home