Thursday, February 02, 2006

Goin' Postal


Don't worry if you read my last post and think I've gone criminally insane (guess who's the guy in the photo and win a summer sausage). If I had, I would have had my reasons, but I haven't so I guess there's reasons for that as well. Whatever reason's I've been unemployed and soon to be employed on the frontllines of COSI coffeshop are yet to be explained. Never have I fancied myself a customer service pro in the rough but that is what they saw in me, apparently. I consider this a fine opportunity to silence the voices in my head, perhaps I'll drown them in free coffee. Coffee has been a source of great fear to me lately, perhaps subconsciously I knew for 6 months that I'd end up working in a coffeshop. I don't frequent these places too often. Usually the java is too strong and pungent for me, and even my home brew has been rejected by my body. I used to find coffee so soothing and solidifying, like the Peppermint Tea I drink at night. But I guess it's more commonplace to have caffeine rage, or is it lack of caffeine rage? Anyway, sometime next week you can come down to 15th and K NW and make fun of me.

In a few weeks I will also be appearing with new Smithsonian Volunteer badge, working the Information desk at...The Postal Museum. Okay, it may not be as ragin' as the big museums on the mall, but it is a Smithsonian joint, located next to Union Station. Some attempt was made to give my fellow volunteers an assignment befitting their personality or background. One woman, a bronze sculptor was given the Hirschhorn, which displays modern art. The Chinese girl got the Sackler, no doubt. Everyone else looked like a schoolteacher and were given the Museum of Natural History. Apparently I look like a wacko who should be nowhere near the Capitol and in a classic bit of punnery was sent to...GO POSTAL! I don't think there's danger of me snapping from the unstressful calm of the large and echoey hallway next to the down escalater leading to the modest exhibition area. I'll probably start long conversations with people looking for John Lennon's Lost Album, which is a one item display featuring JL's stamp collection. Probably I'll start babbling about the first Plastic Ono Band album and what a wanker McCartney is, Mick Jagger's pandering little dances and Christopher Guest's brilliant musical parody of Lennon's 1970 Rolling Stone Interview with Jan Wenner on some obscure Nation Lampoon album.
(http://www.marksverylarge.com/recordings/radiodinner.html)
This is why I want to be involved in such a great cultural institution. And it's just a start people, you ain't heard th' last of me, I'm just getting started!

1 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be something to cover: Isolation or Love or Remember off the Plastic Ono Band LP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home