Saturday, February 25, 2006

They're hee're

It is February, a typically slow time of year musically. But through my eyes everything has been such a crawl and ordeal I clearly forgot there was music out there besides my absent minding finger picking (mostly nasal) Reminder to everyone not to touch my guitar... So I went to this premier little event at Revolution Records up in Van Ness. Some people came from afar thinking it was open mike, some came to do feature mini-sets. Apparently all life out there with a guitar in this immediate town showed up. Everyone who I ran into in dupont or responded to a craigslist ad was there. Others who reminded me of band buds past were there. And some of them brought their adoring women folk, so it actually felt like an audience, even though the backroom barely held the 40+ people there. Very enjoyable. Most of the early performers did that self-analytical songwriting thing, I did my bit of trifle, humorous ditty from American Eyeball-the musical. Later performers were gradually improved, the show actually had a flow. Shout outs to Steve C for organizing, Nayan the owner who likes his beer, Alec Gross and his trio of hucksters, Ben's math-rock Martin fingerstyle, Sarah's midwestern Mariah-isms and scratchmarks on the big Guild, Dave "Greenfield" on another Guild, with family in tow, 2 guys whose name I forgot but one put me on the mailing list who knew each others songs and were really good, and quiet and have a loud band playing at Velvet Lounge next week called the New United States or something like that.... and Justin Trawick. who, apparently more hung over or burnt out as I was today was brilliant, and...who knows...I'm a ready sideman and only looking to add some music to my chaos. Work hard, play harder!