Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Worthy of Note?

I finally did an honest days work (for no pay-trainee) at Cosi. So in 6 months of job searching I landed a volunteer position at Smithsonian, and 2 job offers, Starbucks and Cosi, which is like Starbucks with Salads and stuff. Cosi got to me first. God my back hurts. Juggling the rest of my confused life's options. But for a few good hours I cruised through in a Zen-like state, learning how to be a Barista. As I mentioned on my Starbucks application, I wanted to explore the socio-vocabular aspects of coffeeshop culture and how it is changing our language itself. With American portions becoming larger and larger, for the most part a large is small, grande is large and gigante XL. Finally I am catching up, alas it might be too late to join the human race but who's counting? I am not a "fountain jerk" although I've seen burn victims perform the same duties at Taco Bell (one of my last food service jobs half a lifetime ago). Who ever heard the term Barista in 1988? It is the most colorful title I've had tho'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home