Monday, April 10, 2006

Marching in Place


The joke is that I was 10 blocks away from the huge rally on the mall and I spent it in Cosi like Gomer Pyle's Canteen. Eh, not a bad place to be. But what's at stake anyway? The right of some people to take my job? Hell, they can have it and probably will soon. I thought we'd be seriously swamped with people coming to eat but they mostly just got water. Some late-arriving families came in and left a friggin' mess. Worse than on Saturday when they left their wet umbrellas on the chairs. It was like the Subway on a bad day. I even gave free hot milk to a young couple's obnoxious boy-child as they both filled out job applications. I knew i'd probably have to end up cleaning up that same milk. Hard to be kind and generous with people when you know they're gonna make a friggin' mess and expect more free shit out of you. I have to keep my altruism in check, y'know. I'm all for free, all for helping out, hate the waste, but when the world is spinning out of control like it is, keep those fluids in check.